ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2023-21-4-70-80

Abstract

Relevance and Objectives. Until recently, in Russia there were several regulatory documents (GOST) specifying the chemical composition, geometric parameters and technical requirements for reinforcing steel in bars and coils, as well as the production method (hot rolling, hot rolling with subsequent thermal hardening in the line of section mills using heat of pre-rolling heating, cold rolling and/or drawing of hot rolled rods) of such products of different strength classes, special technological properties (weldability, resistance to fatigue loads, seismic resistance, etc.). Therefore, given the experience of advanced industrial countries, for example, European Standard EN 10138, since 2018, GOST 34028-2016, a developed standard of a similar class, has been implemented in Russia. According to the requirements of these standards, the production method of reinforcing steel is determined by manufacturers. It is necessary to comply with customer requirements for the parameters and properties of reinforcing steel and ensure a high level of service and operational characteristics of steel products. This research is aimed at solving the currently relevant issue of providing contradictory sets of properties at minimal costs. Objectives. Formation of a microstructure and mechanical properties of dual- and multi-phase reinforcing steel in coils. Results. This paper examines controlled rolling modes on a wire line of an industrial bar and wire rolling mill aimed at producing deformed reinforcing steel bars with a nominal diameter of 6 mm in coils with a dual- (ferrite-martensite(bainite)) and multi-phase (ferrite- martensite (bainite)-pearlite) structure from manganese-silicon low-alloy steel grade 18G2S, microalloyed with vanadium. It has been established that the indicators of high strength and ductility of reinforcing bars with a diameter of 6 mm in coils from steel under study (σт = 530-550 MPa; σв = 785-885 MPa; δ5 = 15.0-29.0%), fully meeting the requirements of the standards for high-strength reinforcing steel, are achieved at coil formation temperatures Тво in the range of 1020-1060ºС, providing the formation of a special multi-phase (ferrite-martensite(bainite)-pearlite) steel structure. Conclusions. The authors determined modes of controlled rolling on the wire line of an industrial bar rolling mill, ensuring the production of deformed reinforcing steel bars with a diameter of 6 mm (No. 6) in coils with a dual- and multi-phase structure from manganese-silicon low-alloy steel grade 18G2S, microalloyed with vanadium. It has been established that indicators of high strength and ductility of reinforcing bars No. 6 are achieved at temperatures Тво in the range of 1020-1060ºС, entailing a formation of a multi-phase structure.

Keywords

reinforcing steel in coils, chemical composition of steel, thermomechanical hardening, microalloying, vanadium, controlled rolling, dual- and multi-phase structure, Stelmore line, ferrite, pearlite, bainite, martensite, technological parameters-modes

For citation

Sychkov A.B., Nesterenko A.M., Zavalishchin A.N., Moller A.B., Kulakov B.A., Shubin I.G. Formation of a Microstructure and Mechanicalproperties of Dual- and Multi-Phase Reinforcing Steel in Coils. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2023, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 70-80. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2023-21-4-70-80

Aleksandr B. Sychkov – DrSc (Eng.), Associate Professor, Professor of the Department of Foundry Processes and Materials Science, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0002-0886-1601. Researcher ID: E-4516-2016

Anatoly M. Nesterenko – PhD (Eng.), Senior Researcher of the Department of Physical Metallurgy, Institute of Ferrous Metallurgy of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Dnipro, Ukraine. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0001-2345-6789

Aleksandr N. Zavalishchin – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, Professor of the Department of Foundry Processes and Materials Science, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0003-0955-8425

Aleksandr B. Moller – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, Head of the Department of Materials Processing Technology, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0001-9090-2080

Boris A. Kulakov – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, Professor of the Department of Pyrometallurgy and Foundry Technologies, South Ural State University, Chelyabinsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Igor G. Shubin – PhD (Eng.), Associate Professor, Associate Professor of the Department of Materials Processing Technology, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

1. Sychkov A.B., Zhigarev M.A., Perchatkin A.V. Tekhnologicheskie osobennosti proizvodstva armaturnogo prokata shirokogo naznacheniya [Technological features of producing reinforcing bars of wide applications]. Magnitogorsk: Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 2006, 499 p. (In Russ.)

2. Sychkov A.B., Sheksheev M.A., Malashkin S.O., Kamalova G.Ya. In-line heat treatment of sectional and shaped steel. Obrabotka sploshnykh i sloistykh materialov [Processing of Solid and Layered Materials]. 2016;(2):5-24. (In Russ.)

3. Lis J., Lis A.K., Kolan C. Dual-phase technology and properties of C-Mn steels. Inżynieria materiałowa. 2004;3(140):163-165.

4. Xiurong Zuo, Zhengyue Zhou. Study of pipeline steels with acicular ferrite microstructure and ferrite-bainite dual-phase microstructure. Materials Research. 2015;18(1):36-41.

5. Historical data on wire, triangular wire fabric/mesh and welded wire concrete reinforcement (WWR). Wire Enforcement Institute (WRI). 2014. 9 p.

6. Xu X.J., Kong J.Q. Study on cooling process of hot rolled wire rod with dual phase microstructure. Advanced Materials Research. 2012;415-417:779-783.

7. Lorussoa H., Burgueño A., Egidia D., Svoboda H. Application of dual phase steels in wires for reinforcement of concrete structures. Procedia Materials Science. 2012;(1):118-125.

8. Goldshtein M.I., Grachev S.V., Veksler G.M. Spetsialnye stali [Special steels]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1985, 408 p. (In Russ.)

9. Plyuta V.L., Vorobey S.A., Levchenko G.V., Sychkov A.B., Nesterenko A.M. Study structure and properties of rolled coils by V-alloyed C-Mn-Si steel with dual- and multi-phase microstructures. Journal of Material Science Research. 2017;6(4):79-87.

10. Sychkov A.B., Parusov E.V., Moller A.B., Tulupov O.N., Sheksheev M.A., Stolyarov A.Yu., Kamalova G.Ya., Nazarov D.V., Malashkin S.O., Blokhin M.V. Tekhnologiya termicheskoy obrabotki armaturnogo i fasonnogo prokata (teoriya i metallurgicheskaya praktika): monografiya [Technology of heat treatment of rebar and shaped steel (theory and metallurgical practice): monograph]. Mauritius: Palmarium Academic Publishing, 2017, 272 p. (In Russ.)

11. Sychkov A.B., Koptseva N.V., Efimova Yu.Yu., Zhloba A.V., Kamalova G.Ya. Identification of a surface defect of rolled sheets of the “rolled scale” type. Byull. NTiEI «Chernaya metallurgiya» [Ferrous Metallurgy. Bulletin of Scientific, Technical and Economic Information]. 2018;(11):72-76. (In Russ.)

12. Sychkov A.B., Koptseva N.V., Efimova Yu.Yu., Atangulova (Kamalova) G.Ya. Identification of surface defects in rolled sheetsl using X-ray microanalysis. Byull. NTiEI «Chernaya metallurgiya» [Ferrous Metallurgy. Bulletin of Scientific, Technical and Economic Information]. 2021;77(11):1168-1176. (In Russ.)

13. Wicks C.E., Block F.E. Thermodynamic properties of 65 elements  their oxides, halides, carbides and nitrides. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1965, 240 p. (In Russ.)

14. Parusov V.V., Parusov O.V., Sychkov A.B. Prokat iz borsoderzhashchikh staley dlya vysokoprochnykh krepezhnykh izdeliy: monografiya [Rolled products from boron-containing steels for high-strength fasteners: monograph]. Dnepropetrovsk: ART-Press, 2010, 160 p. (In Russ.)

15. Parusov V.V., Sychkov A.B., Zhigarev M.A., Perchatkin A.V. Wire rod of boron bearing low-carbon steel for direct deep drawing. Metallurgist. 2004;48(11-12):626-634.

16. Parusov V.V., Sychkov A.B., Parusov E.V. Teoreticheskie i tekhnologicheskie osnovy proizvodstva vysokoeffektivnykh vidov katanki [Theoretical and technological framework for the production of highly efficient types of wire rod]. Dnepropetrovsk: ART- Press, 2012, 376 p. (In Russ.)

17. Parusov V.V., Sychkov A.B., Derevyanchenko I.V., Zhigarev M.A. New application of boron in metallurgy. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2005;(1(9)):15-17. (In Russ.)

18. Sychkov A.B., Parusov V.V., Nesterenko A.M., Zhukova S.Yu., Zhigarev M.A., Perchatkin A.V., Peregudov A.V., Chuiko I.N. Struktura i svoystva katanki dlya izgotovleniya elektrodov i svarochnoy provoloki [Structure and properties of wire rod for manufacturing electrodes and welding wire]. Bendery: Poligrafist, 2009, 608 p. (In Russ.)

19. Novikov I., Heinbuker B. Physics. Canada, Toronto/Vancouver: Irvin Publishing, 2001, 706 p.

20. Popova L.E., Popov A.A. Diagrammy prevrashcheniya austenita i beta-rastvora v splavakh titana [Diagrams of the transformation of austenite and beta solution in titanium alloys]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1991, 503 p. (In Russ.)

21. Popov A.A., Popov A.A. Spravochnik termista. Izotermicheskie i termokineticheskie diagrammy raspada pereokhlazhdennogo austenita [Handbook for heat treatment operators. Isothermal and thermokinetic diagrams of the transformation of supercooled austenite]. Moscow, Sverdlovsk: Mashgiz, 1961, 431 p. (In Russ.)