ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2023-21-2-13-20

Abstract

Abstract. Problem Statement (Relevance). The development of placers by bulldozers has been widely used since the 1940s in the development of permafrost placers and since the 1960s in the development of thawed placers. On the one hand, the increase in the volume of the development by bulldozers was ensured by an increase in power of utility tractors, and on the other hand, by technological advantages of the development by bulldozers. At the same time, despite the rich experience of the use of bulldozer equipment, machines are often used in unsuitable mining and geological, and mining and engineering conditions, for example, when developing rocks of higher moisture. Ultimately, the result is an inefficient use of equipment and an increase in the cost of final products. Objectives. The study is aimed at determining the influence of moisture on performance of bulldozers and establishing a boundary, when the development by bulldozers is inefficient. Methods Applied. We applied the following methods: determining the timing of the bulldozer operation in a watered face, determining moisture of developed rocks, modeling technical performance based on the monitoring results, and analyzing the influence of moisture of developed rocks on performance of the bulldozer. Results. The performance drops by 51-63% with an increase in moisture of the developed rocks from 14 to 26%, and by 68-78% with an increase to 34%. The development by bulldozers is efficient, when excavating rocks with a normal moisture of 8-15%, less efficient, when moisture content is 15-25%, and more often inefficient at a moisture of over 30-35%. Practical Relevance. Due to the deterioration of the raw material resources base of placer gold and the involvement in the development of low-quality reserves, it is important to efficiently use high-performance mining equipment in the development of rocks of higher moisture.

Keywords

placer deposits, open pit mining, bulldozer, rock moisture, bulldozer performance

For citation

Dorosh Е.А., Talgamer B.L. The Influence of Rock Moisture on Bulldozer Performance in the Development of Placers. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2023, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 13-20. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2023-21-2-13-20

Egor A. Dorosh – Executive Director of LLC SibZoloto, Irkutsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Boris L. Talgamer – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, Head of the Department of Mineral Deposits Development, Institute of Subsoil Use, Irkutsk National Research Technical University, Irkutsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0003-1413-0116

1. Rubtsov N.N. Consumption of gold in the world. Vestnik Rossiiskogo universiteta druzhby narodov. Ser. Sotsiologiya [RUDN Journal of Sociology]. 2013;(1):74-85. (In Russ.)

2. Pleshintseva A.A. World market of gold: industrial consumption. Sotsialno-ekonomicheskie yavleniya i protsessy [Social-Economic Phenomena and Processes]. 2017;(2):98-105. (In Russ.)

3. Egorova M.S., Rekhovskaya V.A., Mikhailova K.Yu. Dynamics of demand and supply in the global gold market: problems and prospects. Mezhdunarodnyi zhurnal eksperimentalnogo obrazovaniya [International Journal of Experimental Education]. 2015;(3):545-548. (In Russ.)

4. Overview of the gold mining industry in Russia at year end 2020 [Electronic resource]. Available at: https://assets.ey.com/content/dam/ey-sites/ey-com/ru_ ru/topics/mining-metals/ey-gold-surveys/ey-gold-survey-2020.pdf (Accessed on April 09, 2022).

5. ITS 49-2017. Dobycha dragotsennykh metallov [Information and technical reference book 49-2017. Extraction of precious metals]. Moscow: Federal Agency for Technical Regulation and Metrology, 2017, pp. 3-21. (In Russ.)

6. Ermakov S.A., Potekhin A.V. The analysis of applied development methods and equipment at alluvial deposits in Yakutia. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten (nauchno-tekhnicheskii zhurnal) [Mining Informational and Analytical Bulletin (Scientific and Technical Journal)]. 2012;(7):218-224. (In Russ.)

7. Volkov A.V. Golden prospects for the Irkutsk Region. Zoloto i tekhnologii [Gold and Technologies]. 2017;(4(38)):118-127. (In Russ.)

8. Dorosh E.A., Talgamer B.L. The analysis of gold reserves in the Irkutsk Region and providing a rationale for areas of the development of methods for placer mining. Nauki o zemle i nedropolzovanie [Earth Sciences and Subsoil Use]. 2022;(3):118-127. (In Russ.)

9. Talgamer B.L., Tyutrin S.G., Ershov V.A. Status and prospects of dredging gold mining in the Irkutsk Region. Zolotodobycha [Gold Mining]. 2016;(12(217)):11-15. (In Russ.)

10. Kutorgin V.I., Saprykin A.A., Dzhobadze V.A., Tarasov A.S. Prospects for the reserve fund of the mineral resource base of alluvial gold. TsNIGRI Rosnedra MPR Rossii [Central Geological Research Institute for Non-Ferrous and Precious Metals, the Federal Agency on Subsoil Use, the Ministry of Natural Resources of Russia]. 2008;(4):9-15. (In Russ.)

11. Status and prospects of the development of the gold mining industry of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia). Mineralnye resursy Rossii. Ekonomika i upravlenie [Mineral Resources of Russia. Economics and Management]. 2013;(2):45-50. (In Russ.)

12. Burakov A.M., Ermakov S.A., Kasanov I.S. Features of mining conditions for the development of alluvial deposits in Yakutia. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten (nauchno-tekhnicheskii zhurnal) [Mining Informational and Analytical Bulletin (Scientific and Technical Journal)]. 2012;(7):190-198. (In Russ.)

13. Dorosh E.A., Talgamer B.L. Assessment of prospects for the development of alluvial gold mining in Russia. Materialy Vserossiiskoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem «Geonauki – 2021» [Proceedings of the All-Russian Scientific and Technical Conference with an International Participation “Geoscience – 2021”]. Irkutsk: Publishing House of Irkutsk National Research Technical University, 2021, pp. 58-66. (In Russ.)

14. Gold production in Russia. Gold mining. Information and advertising bulletin. Irkutsk: Irgiredmet, 2019. Available at: https://zolotodb.ru/article/10922

15. Babiy Yu.A., Moskalevich V.I., Pyatakov V.G. Technical and economic indicators of the operation of mining and transport equipment determined on the basis of remotely obtained data. Gold mining, 2022. Available at: https://zolotodb.ru/article/12795

16. Leshkov V.G. Razrabotka rossypnykh mestorozhdeniy [Development of alluvial deposits]. Moscow: Gornaya kniga, 2007, 906 p. (In Russ.)

17. Emelyanov A.I. Tekhnologiya buldozernoy razrabotki vechnomerzlykh rossypey [Technology of the development of permafrost placers by bulldozers]. Moscow: Nedra, 1976, 287 p. (In Russ.)

18. Klimenko M.I., Sulin G.A. Razrabotki rossypnykh mestorozhdeniy buldozerami [Development of placer deposits by bulldozers]. Magadan: Magadan Book Publishing House, 1976, 201 p. (In Russ.)

19. Sulin G.A. Tekhnika i tekhnologiya razrabotki rossypey otkrytym sposobom [Engineering and technology of the open pit mining of placers]. Moscow: Nedra, 1974, 233 p. (In Russ.)

20. Berezin V.P., Leshkov V.G., Matsueva L.P., Potemkin S.V. Spravochnik po razrabotke rossypey [Reference book on the development of placers]. Moscow: Nedra, 1973, 592 p. (In Russ.)

21. Berezin V.P. Spravochnik po razrabotke rossypey [Reference book on the development of placers]. Magadan: Magadan Book Publishing House, 1959, 200 p. (In Russ.)