ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2024-22-1-98-106

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance). The authors analyzed bench tests of a front axle beam of KAMAZ trucks. The paper presents values of the composition, structure, hardness and cyclic durability of parts made of heat-hardenable steel 45X, and describes the influence of hardness and surface shot blasting of parts on cyclic durability. A positive role of shot blasting of parts with DSLU-2.2 improved cast steel shots is shown in terms of removing the decarbonized layer and other surface defects. The authors determined the steel hardness value of the base of the part required to achieve satisfactory machinability by cutting forgings and specified resistance of the front axle beam under cyclic loading; and a reasonable period of shot blasting, and temperature/time parameters of thermal refining of forgings, providing a rationale for a durability of parts of 1 million cycles or more. The technology of surface shot blasting and heat treatment was applied at the production facilities of PJSC KAMAZ and recommended for their introduction at machine-building enterprises in other industries. To determine the degree of surface shot blasting of parts, the authors developed and introduced a device, containing Almen strips in the most critical points of the product. Objective. The study is aimed at developing technological solutions to improve cyclic durability of long-length steel machine parts. Methods Applied. The authors applied metallographic analysis and statistical methods of processing experimental data. Originality. The paper presents the determined optimal parameters of surface shot blasting of long-length parts, providing a cyclic durability of 1 million cycles or more. Result. The developed technology of surface hardening of long-length parts contributes to increasing their cyclic durability. Practical Relevance. The technology has been introduced into the process of manufacturing long-length parts at the Forging Plant of PJSC KAMAZ.

Keywords

car parts, steel, structure, hardness, surface layer, steel defects, shot blasting, Almen strip, cyclic durability, quality control

For citation

Klenko S.V., Astashchenko V.I., Safarov D.T., Kharisov I.Zh., Orlyansky V.E. Increasing Cyclic Durability of Long-Length Steel Machine Parts. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2024, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 98-106. https://doi.org/ 10.18503/1995-2732-2024-22-1-98-106

Sergey V. Klenko – Director, Forging Plant, PJSC KAMAZ, Naberezhnye Chelny, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Vladimir I. Astashchenko – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, Naberezhnye Chelny Institute (branch) of Kazan (Volga Region) Federal University, Naberezhnye Chelny, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Scopus Author ID: 6507110140

Damir T. Safarov – PhD (Eng.), Associate Professor, Naberezhnye Chelny Institute (branch) of Kazan (Volga Region) Federal University, Naberezhnye Chelny, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0002-8297-4524. Scopus Author ID: 6603409746

Ilsur Zh. Kharisov – Head of the Design Department, Forging Plant, PJSC KAMAZ, Naberezhnye Chelny, Russia. Еmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Vladimir E. Orlyansky – Head of the Chassis Assembly Department of the Research and Development Center PJSC KAMAZ, Naberezhnye Chelny, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

1. Gliner R.E., Astashchenko V.I. Vvedenie v tekhnologiyu poverkhnostnogo uprochneniya metalla [Introduction to the technology of surface hardening of metal]. Moscow; Vologda: Infra-Inzheneriya, 2022, 328 p. (In Russ.)

2. Shan L., Wang Y., Li J., Chen J. Effect of N2 flow rate on microstructure and mechanical properties of PVD CrNx coatings for tribological application in seawater. Surface and Coatings Technology. 2014;242(4):74-82.

3. Totten G.E. Steel heat treatment: Metallurgy and technologies. 2nd ed. London: Taylor & Francis, 2007, 832 p.

4. Suslov A.G., Fedorov V.P., Gorlenko O.A. et al. Fundamentalnye osnovy tekhnologicheskogo obespecheniya i povysheniya nadezhnosti izdelii mashinostroeniya [Fundamentals of technological support and reliability improvement of machine building products]. Moscow: Innovatsionnoe mashinostroenie, 2022, 552 p. (In Russ.) м5. Zubarev Yu.M. Tekhnologicheskoe obespechenie nadezhnosti ekspluatatsii mashin [Technological support of reliability of machine operation]. Saint Petersburg: Lan, 2022, 320 p. (In Russ.)

6. Kolobov A.B. Prochnostnaya nadezhnost i dolgovechnost detalei mashin i konstruktsii [Strength reliability and durability of machine parts and structures]. Moscow; Vologda: Infra-Inzheneriya, 2020, 192 p. (In Russ.)

7. Krupenya E.Yu., Lebedev V.A., Boldyrev A.I. et al. Tekhnologicheskie metody povysheniya kachestva izdelii [Technological methods for improving the quality of products]. Rostov-on-Don: Don State Technical University, 2020, 129 p. (In Russ.)

8. Zinchenko V.M. Inzheneriya poverkhnosti zubchatykh koles metodami khimiko-termicheskoi obrabotki [Engineering of a gear surface by methods of chemical and thermal treatment]. Moscow: Bauman Moscow State Technical University, 2001, 303 p. (In Russ.)

9. Kolobov A.B. Prochnostnaya nadezhnost i dolgovechnost detalei mashin i konstruktsii [Strength reliability and durability of machine parts and structures]. Moscow; Vologda: Infra- Inzheneriya, 2020, 192 p. (In Russ.)

10. Glazunov V.A. et al. Perspektivnye metody poverkhnostnoi obrabotki detalei mashin [Promising methods of surface treatment of machine parts]. Blagonravov Institute of Machine Science of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Moscow: LENAND, 2018, 447 p. (In Russ.)

11. Bertóti I. Characterization of nitride coatings by XPS. Surface and Coatings Technology. 2002;151-152(1):194-203.

12. Yin C., Liang Y., Jiang Y. et al. Formation of nano-laminated structures in a dry sliding wear-induced layer under different wear mechanisms of 20CrNi2Mo steel. Applied Surface Science. 2017;423:305-313.

13. Matlin M.M., Lebsky S.L. et al. Drobeudarnoe uprochnenie detalei mashin [Shot blast hardening of machine parts]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 2008, 230 p. (In Russ.)

14. Astashchenko V.I., Mukhametzyanova G.F., Orlyansky R.E., Kharisov I.Zh. Hardening of long-length steel products by shot blasting. Chernye metally [Ferrous Metals]. 2023;(1):26-31. (In Russ.)

15. Benlahreche F.Z., Nouicer E. Improvement of surface properties of low carbon steel by nitriding treatment. Acta Phys. Pol. A. 2017;131:20-23.

16. Morozova E.A., Morozov A.P., Muratov V.S. Influence of thermal treatment and surface hardening of carbon steel on sensitivity to stress concentrators under cyclic loading. Zagotovitelnye proizvodstva v mashinostroenii [Blank Production in Mechanical Engineering]. 2020;(7):328-332. (In Russ.)

17. De Moor E., Lacroix S., Clarke A. J. et al. Effect of retained austenite stabilized via quench and partitioning on the strain hardening of martensitic steels. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions. 2008;39A:2586-2595.

18. Rudnitsky N.M., Kazanchenko T.A. Influence of hardness obtained by hardening steel 45 on the fatigue limit after high tempering. Trudy NAMI [Proceedings of NAMI (Automobile and Engine Research Institute)]. 1966;(85):15-26. (In Russ.)

19. Astashchenko V.I., Mukhametzyanova G.F., Kharisov I.Zh., Makhonin V.V., Karnilov A.Yu., Salyakhov I.F., Orlyansky V.E., Peshkov A.N. Ustroistvo dlya izmereniya intensivnosti drobenaklepa poverkhnosti metalloizdelii [Device for measuring the rate of shot blasting of the metalware surface]. Utility model patent, no. 217098, 2023.