ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2023-21-4-34-43

Abstract

Electrolytic chromium has high corrosion resistance, low friction factor, high hardness, heat resistance, and high yield stress. The said properties contribute to the widest possible application of the electrolytic chromium plating process in all the branches of mechanical engineering. The peculiarities of the electrolytic chromium plating process conventionally include low dissipation capacity of electrolytes of chromium plating and, consequently, one of the lowest metal current yield, high current densities, high sensitivity of the process to the process mode, need for using insoluble anodes, and the use of toxic hexavalent chromium-based compounds. Depending on the electrolysis conditions (electrolyte temperature, current density), chromium precipitates can demonstrate different physical properties, mainly in hardness and reflectivity. A large number of studies on electrochemical chromium plating are attributed to steels and copper alloys. At the same time, the promising area of surface chromium plating of titanium products needs thorough research. This paper proposes the compositions of two groups of electrolytes based on trivalent and hexavalent chromium compounds as basic compositions for studying electrochemical chromium plating of titanium products. We experimentally determined the values of density, viscosity, specific conductivity of the proposed solutions. Voltammetric studies on electrochemical processes were performed on the titanium electrode in the experimental electrolytes. It has been found that in the studied limits of titanium electrode potential changes the processes of changing the valence state of chromium had significant difficulties. The results obtained are the basis for a more in-depth study on the composition of electrolytes for electrochemical chromium plating of titanium products. They can also help study the features of kinetics of the chromium deposition on titanium by means of experimental electrochemistry.

Keywords

electrolytic chromium plating, electrolyte, titanium, voltammetry characteristics

For citation

Gruba O.N., Ardashev D.V., Degtyareva-Kashutina A.S. Physical and Chemical Properties of Electrolytes for Chromium Plating of Titanium Parts. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2023, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 34-43. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2023-21-4-34-43

Oksana N. Gruba – PhD (Chemistry), Associate Professor, South Ural State University, Chelyabinsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0003-4038-3766

Dmitry V. Ardashev – DrSc (Eng.), Associate Professor, South Ural State University, Chelyabinsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0002-8134-2525

Anastasia S. Degtyareva-Kashutina – Senior Lecturer, South Ural State University, Chelyabinsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0003-1781-0395

1. Shluger M.A. Galvanicheskie pokrytiya v mashi-nostroenii [Galvanic coatings in mechanical engineer-ing]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1985, 204 p. (In Russ.)

2. Pokrovskaya G.A. Teoriya i praktika khromirovaniya [Theory and practice of chromium plating]. Kyiv: KRDENTP, 1974, 103 p. (In Russ.)

3. Nevsky O.I., Ratnikov S.V., Kotov V.L., Balmasov A.V. On the relationship between polarization characteristics and properties of phase films during chromium plating in a fluoride-containing electrolyte. Khimiya i khimicheskaya tekhnologiya [Chemistry and Chemical Technology]. 2007;50(2):45-47. (In Russ.)

4. Molchanov V.F. Khromirovanie v samoreguliruyush-chikhsya elektrolitakh [Chromium plating in self-regulating electrolytes]. Kyiv: Tekhnika, 1972, 82 p. (In Russ.)

5. Cherkez M.B., Bogorad L.Ya. Khromirovanie [Chromium plating]. Leningrad: Mashinostroenie, 1978, 100 p. (In Russ.)

6. Weiner R. Galvanicheskoe khromirovanie [Galvanic chromium plating]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1964, 152 p. (In Russ.)

7. Vinogradov S.S. Ekologicheski bezopasnoe galvanicheskoe proizvodstvo [Environmentally friendly electroplating]. Moscow: Globus, 2002, 352 p. (In Russ.)

8. Okulov V.V. Ecological, technological and economic aspects of replacing hexavalent solutions of chromating (passivation). Galvanotekhnika i obrabotka pov-erkhnosti [Electroplating and Surface Treatment]. 2005;13(2):35-41. (In Russ.)

9. Fomichev V.T. Elektroosazhdenie khroma iz elektrolitov, soderzhashchikh organicheskie dobavki: avtoreferat dis. ... doktora tekhnicheskikh nauk [Electrodeposition of chromium from electrolytes containing organic additives: abstract of the thesis]. Novocherkassk: Novocherkassk State Technical University, 1994, 34 p.

10. Fioshin M.Ya., Tomilov A.P. Some issues of modern electrochemistry of organic compounds (review). Elektrokhimiya [Electrochemistry]. 1983;19(1):3-21. (In Russ.)

11. Dasoyan M.A., Palmskaya I.Ya. Oborudovanie tsekhov elektrokhimicheskikh pokrytiy [Equipment for electrochemical coating shops]. Leningrad: Mashinostroenie, 1979, 287 p. (In Russ.)

12. Bacherikov Yu.Yu., Dmitruk N.L., Konakova R.V., Kondratenko O.S., Milenin V.V., Okhrimenko O.B., Kapitanchuk L.M., Svetlichny A.M., Moskovchenko N.N. Formation of titanium oxide films on the surface of porous silicon carbide. Zhurnal tekhnicheskoy fiziki [Journal of Technical Physics]. 2008;78(9):130-133. (In Russ.)

13. Yunghans M. Wasser, Luft und Boden. 1994;41(3):34.

14. Falicheva A.I., Burdykina R.I. On the mechanism of cathodic processes during chromium plating from chromate electrolytes. Zashchita metallov [Protection of Metals]. 1995;31(2):209-214. (In Russ.)

15. Gruba O.N., Ardashev D.V. Features of the electro-chemical behavior of metal electrodes in model solutions of chromium plating. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosov [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2022;20(3):130-140. (In Russ.)

16. A cathodic process during chromium plating. Available at: https://www.metalcutting.ru/content/katodnyy-process-vo-vremya-hromirovaniya. (Accessed on June 19, 2023)