ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2023-21-3-144-154

Abstract

Large transport and machine-building holdings widely use quality management systems, one of whose main aspects is the functional safety assessment designed to identify and eliminate weaknesses in quality management and traffic safety at infrastructure facilities. The priority is to ensure the guaranteed safety and reliability of the main function, namely the transportation function. Reliability of the transportation process, that is its uninterrupted operation, is supported by a competent operation and high-quality repair of infrastructure facilities and services of third-party organizations. To ensure financial and economic stability, the level of safety in the operation of infrastructure facilities should provide for avoidance of traffic accidents, which largely depends on preventive measures aimed at traffic safety and failures of technical means during the operation of infrastructure facilities. The paper proposes an analysis of regulatory documents for assessing reliability and quality of transportation in machine-building and transport holdings. The assessment is based on the statistical data collection in the operational process of infrastructure facilities for subsequent research due to the influence of key performance indicators of infrastructure facilities and weighting factors for the rating of traffic safety functionality. The procedure analyzed in the paper implements a risk-based approach based on frequency of events and the impact of these frequencies on losses from them as the tabular coefficients. At the same time, several important coefficients do not reflect severity of consequences according to the level of violations. The correct functional safety assessment of the regional corporate governance centers, directorates and services is necessary not only to compare the results of ensuring traffic safety, but also to identify and further eliminate weaknesses in the quality management and traffic safety of transport units at infrastructure facilities.

Keywords

risk assessment, quality management, functional safety, infrastructure facilities

For citation

Vasin S.A., Verevkina O.I., Yaitskov I.A. Improving the Procedure for Assessing Functional Safety and Reliability Risks for Quality Management at Infrastructure Facilities. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2023, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 144-154. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2023-21-3-144-154

Sergey A. Vasin – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, Department of Urban Construction, Architecture and Design, Tula State University, Tula, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Olga I. Verevkina – PhD (Eng.), Associate Professor, Department of Field Operation Management, Rostov State Transport University, Rostov-on-Don, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Ivan A. Yaitskov – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, Dean of the Electromechanical Faculty, Professor of the Department of Railway Cars and Railway Car Facilities, Rostov State Transport University, Rostov-on-Don, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

1. Lisenkov V.M. Statisticheskaya teoriya bezopasnosti dvizheniya poezdov: uchebnik dlya studentov vuzov [Statistical theory of train traffic safety: a textbook for university students]. Moscow: The All-Union Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 1999, 331 p. (In Russ.)

2. Martynyuk I.V., Flegontov N.S., Nedorchuk B.L., Imkhovik N.A. On the development of principles and methods for assessing the risks of emergencies in railway transport. Informatsionnyi byulleten FTsP «Snizhenie riskov i smyagchenie posledstviy chrezvychainykh situatsiy prirodnogo i tekhnogennogo kharaktera v Rossiiskoy Federatsii do 2005 goda» [Information Bulletin of the Federal Target Program on “Risk reduction and mitigation of the consequences of natural and industry-related emergencies in the Russian Federation until 2005”]. 2002;(1-2):17. (In Russ.)

3. Martynyuk I.V., Flegontov N.S., Popov O.N. On activities aimed at providing rationale for choosing the optimal routes for the dangerous cargo transportation based on the assessment of the risks of accidents and damage from them in various directions of railways. Sbornik trudov nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii «Bezopasnost dvizheniya poezdov» [Proceedings of the Scientific and Practical Conference Train Traffic Safety]. Moscow, 2005, pp. 1-18. (In Russ.)

4. Shevchenko A.I. Povyshenie ustoychivosti perevozochnogo protsessa na zheleznodorozhnom transporte v usloviyakh chrezvychaynykh situatsiy: dis. … kand. tekhn. nauk [Improving stability of the railway transportation process in emergency situations: PhD thesis]. Moscow, 2008. 151 p.

5. Corporate Standard of Russian Railways, STO RZhD 1.02.(001-012)-2006. Bezopasnost zheleznodorozhnykh perevozok [Railway Transportation Safety]. Moscow, 2006, 120 p. (In Russ.)

6. National standard of the Russian Federation GOST R 54505-2011. Bezopasnost funktsionalnaya. Upravlenie riskami na zheleznodorozhnom transporte [Functional safety. Risk management on railway transport].

7. Corporate Standard of Russian Railways, STO RZhD (Resource, Risk and Reliability Management at Lifecycle Stages) 1.02.034-2010. General rules for risk assessment and management. Interstate Standard GOST 33432-2015. Bezopasnost funktsionalnaya. Politika, programma obespecheniya bezopasnosti. Dokazatelstvo bezopasnosti obektov zheleznodorozhnogo transporta [Functional safety. Safety policy, program. Evidence of safety of railway transport facilities]. It was put into effect by Order of the Federal Agency for Technical Regulation and Metrology No. 2107-st dated December 4, 2015. 43 p.

8. Corporate Standard of Russian Railways, STO RZhD 02.037-2011. Upravlenie resursami, riskami i nadezhnostyu na etapakh zhiznennogo tsikla (URRAN). Upravlenie stoimostyu zhiznennogo tsikla sistem, ustroystv i oborudovaniya khozyaystv OAO «RZHD» [Resource, Risk and Reliability Management at Lifecycle Stages (URRAN). Cost management of the life cycle of systems, devices and equipment of OJSC Russian Railways]. Moscow, 2012, 28 p. (In Russ.)

9. Lapidus V.A., Usoltsev A.N. Metodika otsenki pokazateley protsessov, vliyayushchikh na bezopasnost dvizheniya, na osnove otsenki riskov [The procedure for assessing indicators of processes influencing traffic safety based on risk assessment]. Moscow: Priority, 2012, 25 p. (In Russ.)

10. Verevkina O.I. Review of regulatory and methodological support for the process of traffic safety management. Transport: nauka, obrazovanie, proizvodstvo (Transport-2021): sb. nauch. tr. mezhdunar. nauch.-prakt. konf. [Transport: Science, Education, Production (Transport-2021): Collection of Research Papers of the International Scientific and Practical Conference]. Rostov-on-Don, 2021, pp. 57-61. (In Russ.)

11. Verevkina O.I. Methods for assessing indicators of the process approach to risk management in ensuring traffic safety. Vestnik Rostovskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta putey soobshcheniya [Bulletin of Rostov State Transport University]. 2015;(1):76-81. (In Russ.)

12. Verevkina O.I. Results of the application of a hybrid method for assessing functional risks of traffic safety violations at regional and linear levels at transport facilities. Nadezhnost i kachestvo slozhnykh sistem [Reliability and Quality of Complex Systems]. 2019;(1(25)):106-117. (In Russ.)

13. The procedure for assessing functional safety at the infrastructure of OJSC Russian Railways approved by Instruction of OJSC Russian Railways No. 2343r dated October 23, 2019. 2020, 12 p. (In Russ.)

14. The procedure for the railway rating assessment. Instruction of OJSC Russian Railways No. 193r dated January 31, 2017. 12 p. (In Russ.)

15. Regulations on the classification, procedure for investigating and recording transport accidents and other events related to violation of the rules on traffic safety and operation of railway transport approved by Order of the Ministry of Transport of Russia No. 344 dated December 18, 2014 (as amended by Orders of the Ministry of Transport of Russia No. 217 dated July 29, 2016 and No. 218 dated June 1, 2018). (In Russ.)

16. On monitoring key performance indicators of the Russian Railways holding approved by Instruction of OJSC Russian Railways No. 1656/r dated August 1, 2019. (In Russ.)