ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2023-21-3-89-96

Abstract

Improving processes and increasing the operating efficiency are an important task for a modern metallurgical enterprise. This is especially important in the emerging trends of the next decade: rising prices for raw materials, materials and utilities, accompanied by a drop in a global demand for ordinary grades of rolled products. A significant contribution to the lower operating efficiency of rolling mills is made by negative technological events. Negative technological events are an untargeted result of a technological process that leads to losses of time or resources. The most typical negative technological events on rolling mills are strip breaks, deviations in loopers of continuous units, surface defects or collapsed coils (coil slumping or a defect in the inner generatrix of coils, namely crumpled coils). The key difficulty in dealing with negative technological events is their relative rarity, since a typical share of defective metal, strips with breaks or deviations in loopers is less than one percent. This feature of negative technological events on rolling mills leads to the need for a careful preparation of initial data for a subsequent analysis. Therefore, it is also important to factor into not only averaged data on length of treated strips, but also time trends of technological parameters with the assignment of negative technological events to a specific and exact coordinate along the strip length. The paper presents an overview of the application of the methodology for dealing with the most typical negative technological events on rolling mills at PJSC NLMK. A key element in the methodology for analyzing negative technological events is the use of binary logistic regression to identify influencing factors and assess their degree of influence. The paper is aimed at describing the role of negative technological events in the operating efficiency of rolling mills. The scientific novelty of the research lies in the methodology for analyzing and finding ways to reduce losses from negative technological events.

Keywords

rolling mills, operating efficiency, negative technological events, breaks, deviations, surface defects, collapsed coils

For citation

Shopin I.I. Increasing the Efficiency of Sheet Rolling Mills by Preventing Negative Technological Events. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik Of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2023, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 89-96. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2023-21-3-89-96

Ivan I. Shopin – PhD (Eng.), Associate Professor, Lipetsk State Technical University, Lipetsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0002-0092-9026

1. Kruglov M.G. Innovatsionny proekt: upravlenie kachestvom i effektivnostyu: ucheb. posobie [An innovative project: quality and efficiency management: study guide]. Moscow: Delo Publishing House of Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, 2011, 336 p. (In Russ.)

2. Marr B. Klyuchevye instrumenty biznes-analitiki. 67 instrumentov, kotorye dolzhen znat kazhdy menedzher [Key tools of business analytics. 67 tools that every manager should know]. Moscow: Laboratory of Knowledge, 2018, 339 p. (In Russ.)

3. Kelchevskaya N.R., Sirotkin S.A., Pelymskaya I.S., Ismagilova G.V. Biznes-protsessy promyshlennogo predpriyatiya: ucheb. posobie [Business processes of an industrial enterprise: study guide]. Yekaterinburg: Ural Federal University, 2016, 339 p. (In Russ.)

4. Putilov A.V., Chernyakhovskaya Yu.V. Kommertsializatsiya tekhnologiy i promyshlennye innovatsii: ucheb. posobie [Commercialization of technologies and industrial innovations: study guide]. Saint Petersburg: Lan Publishing House, 2018, 324 p. (In Russ.)

5. Klyuev A.V. Kontseptsiya berezhlivogo proizvodstva: ucheb. posobie [The concept of lean production: study guide]. Yekaterinburg: Ural Federal University, 2013, 88 p. (In Russ.)

6. Liker J., Trachilis G. Liderstvo na vsekh urovnyakh berezhlivogo proizvodstva: Prakticheskoe rukovodstvo [Developing lean leaders at all levels: A practical guide]. Moscow: Alpina Publisher, 2018, 336 p. (In Russ.)

7. GOST R 56907-2016. Berezhlivoe proizvodstvo. Vizualizatsiya [Lean production. Visualization]. Moscow: Standartinform, 2017, 6 p. (In Russ.)

8. GOST R 56908-2016. Berezhlivoe proizvodstvo. Standartizatsiya raboty [Lean production. Work standardizationf]. Moscow: Standartinform, 2016, 10 p. (In Russ.)

9. GOST R 56906-2016. Berezhlivoe proizvodstvo. Organizatsiya rabochego prostranstva (5S) [Lean production. Workspace organization method (5S)]. Moscow: Standartinform, 2016, 9 p. (In Russ.)

10. GOST R 57524-2017. Berezhlivoe proizvodstvo. Potok sozdaniya tsennosti [Lean production. Value stream]. Moscow: Standartinform, 2015, 13 p. (In Russ.)

11. GOST R ISO 13053-1-2015. Statisticheskie metody. Kolichestvennye metody uluchsheniya protsessov Shest sigm. Ch. 1. Metodologiya DMAIC [Statistical methods. Quantitative methods for improving the Six Sigma processes. Part 1. DMAIC methodology]. Moscow: Standartinform, 2016, 26 p. (In Russ.)

12. GOST R ISO 13053-2-2015. Statisticheskie metody. Kolichestvennye metody uluchsheniya protsessov Shest sigm. Ch. 2. Metody [Statistical methods. Quantitative methods for improving the Six Sigma processes. Part 2. Methods]. Moscow: Standartinform, 2016, 42 p. (In Russ.)

13. Belsky S.M., Shchedrin I.N., Shopin I.I. Solution to the problem of collapsed coils from color coated steel strips. Proizvodstvo prokata [Manufacturing Rolled Products]. 2018;(7):5-8. (In Russ.)

14. Belsky S.M., Shopin I.I. Application of the saddle coefficient to assess the quality of hot rolled strips. Chernye metally [Ferrous Metals]. 2019;(9):9-13. (In Russ.)

15. Belsky S.M., Shopin I.I. A mathematical model of the probability of strip breaks during cold rolling. Chernye metally [Ferrous Metals]. 2020;(3):18-23. (In Russ.)

16. Belskiy S.M., Shopin I.I. Statistical regression analysis of breakages in cold rolling. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, International Russian Conference on Materials Science and Metallurgical Technology (RusMetalCon 2020), Chelyabinsk, Russian Federation, 22-24 September 2020, vol. 969, p. 012074.

17. Belskiy S.M., Shopin I.I. On issue of strip’s break during cold rolling. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, International Russian Conference on Materials Science and Metallurgical Technology (RusMetalCon 2020), Chelyabinsk, Russian Federation, 22-24 September 2020, vol. 969, 012072.

18. Belskiy S.M., Shopin I.I., Safronov A.A. Improving efficiency of rolling production by predicting negative technological events. Defect and Diffusion Forum. 2021, vol. 410, pp. 96-101.